Saturday, February 5, 2011

Tattoo

I had this picture printed and sitting on my desk for almost 3 years before I finally did it. This is a Celtic knot that stands for the three steps in a women's life "maiden, mother and crone"
On my 43rd birthday all three of my sisters and I went to the tattoo parlor and got the same tattoo. Yes same tattoo in the same place.
After I did it I thought to myself, o my goodness what did I just do. I didn't tell my husband. Well that is not totally true. I had been telling him for years that when I turned 40 I was going to get a tattoo. He kept saying wait and we'll do it together. That just wasn't happening so I went on my own and did it. Does that count as telling him?
I did check with all 4 of my teenagers to make sure it was cool with them. I would hate to live with the thought that my kids were disappointed in me or thought it was stupid. I guess that shouldn't of mattered but it did matter to me.
That was a Wednesday night and I was leaving for Nashville the next day. I was heading south to watch Alexis run in a cross country meet (she ran for college) then onto visit Tyler in Alabama (he was a freshmen).
I was kinda freaking out the whole drive. Every time the phone rang my heart pumped a thousand times a minute. I just knew it would be my husband calling me because he herd I got a tattoo. O God what have I done???
About 3 hours out from Alabama I finally answered the phone. It was my husband "you have something to tell me?" No no nothing, why do you ask? Needless to say we didn't speak till I got home that following Monday. By this time my new tattoo was all scabbed. We didn't talk for about 2 weeks. But it passed.
Took me a little while for it to sink in, that this was a permanent mark on my body. Every once in a while I would think oops. But I like what it means and I like where it is. I even think my husband likes it he just would never say so. Typical male.
I just knew that this was something I wanted to do and I didn't want anyone to step in my way. If it was the little bit of rebel in me, then so be it. I am glad I did it.
I see lots of people with tattoo's all over there body. I wonder if they were honest with themselves do they wish they didn't have so many? I mean do they do it for the attention? Because the attention is short lived and is that why they would chose to get another and then another??? Do people get tattoo's as memory type thing? you know like when someone dies. I see lots of people with bible scriptures, I think that's pretty cool.
I am asking my husband to go with me this Valentines day to get a tattoo of some sort of wedding band around our wedding fingers. He hasn't said yes or no. I think it would be pretty cool. But we'll see.
Don't compromise yourself,
you are all you've got
~Janis Joplin~

3 comments:

  1. mom- u did not ask any of us.. haha u texted me and told me to get on your facebook to delete the photo of the tattoo you uploaded because you hadn't told anyone yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed you to take it off my FB because I had not yet showed or told my husband. And my bad if I hadn't spoken to you about it first. Guess my memory doesn't serve me correctly

    ReplyDelete